I see you looking puzzled at me now even over simple things that seem to confuse you greatly. You often look at me to give you the answer and even though you don’t say it, I know it’s because you’re unsure of if it’s okay or not and you struggle over the smallest things. I’d like to tell you tonight what I don’t always say in the moments as they are happening. I sit for hours sometimes and reflect on these things after you’ve drifted off to sleep and those moments have passed for you. But for me, I’m haunted by them to find better answers of how to help you during the waking hours.
I wish I could always tell you that everything you choose or don’t choose in life is “okay” but I know that’d be a lie and I choose not to lie to you, you’re 10 years old now and you deserve to know as much as you can process about the world around you! Here are a few pointers that come to mind with all that you are going through. I wont pretend to act like I’m going to tell you all of this tomorrow but I look at this as more of a reminder to me as things come up in the near future!
- School – it’s tough for you right now on many levels – it’s okay for you to be who you are. You are entitled to an education and your father and I are working very hard to help educate those that matter whom are in charge of that education. Though they do not fully understand your medical needs currently it is their job to work to get to know those needs and educate you through those struggles. I promise you kiddo, this is one area that your being different IS okay and I will stand for nothing less! You have been called “complicated” more times this year than I care to recall but then again, It keeps the fuel to the fire for me, and that’s all I need to be the best advocate for you that I can be!
- Your peers – this goes along with school and the fact in my mind is that “IF” your teachers are fully on board to support you, they will work to have your peers on board to support you as well! You have mentioned “bullies” often this school year and though I don’t take that lightly, I also know that your medical condition is currently overriding much of your social interactions with your peers, therefore I believe your thoughts on “bullies” may be a bit of an overreaction on your part. Don’t worry, this to will be addressed as it’s time for your peers and teachers to be equipped with some materials about your condition and I’ve purchased such literature for them to get to know more about it and I believe it will help! For now, with your peers, that too is okay!
- Your medical condition – well talking about it is where I’d like to use the word “bully!” It’s now been pushing you around like a boss for over 13 weeks and counting! This is tough my love because this right now IS NOT okay and there is nothing right now you can do about it, therefore bullying you, it is! Please understand I hear your every cry of concern to “make it stop!”, I do and it tells me that you have no control over your own body right now! I’m with you during every panic attack and I’m working through it with you! You did not ask to have this autoimmune disorder and it is NOT okay that we’ve been told by the treating physician that we should wait out the current treatment in “hopes” that something changes! Nope! Not on my watch…..I will not sit around and ‘watch paint dry’ in hopes something will change for you! We will seek better treatment options!
- Belief – (in what cant be seen!) This has to do with how you are treated with myself, your father and the rest of the world for that matter! We are a world of disbelievers, we are kiddo! I hate to tell you this now but if we are going to talk about things currently you must know we humans simply MUST see something to believe in it! It’s a wonder that Christianity has made it to 2015! I know you don’t have this problem buddy and it’s the rest of us that do, but it IS why we don’t always give you credit to your fears or worries right off the bat! We don’t see them like you do, so they must not exist! Hero, that IS NOT okay and I will go on record to say that I’m sorry to you for all the times I didn’t believe! I truly do now and I’m learning from my mistakes quickly!
- Your brother – he loves you regardless! Please know that he thinks you “hung the moon!” To him, your “difference” IS always going to be okay! Have you not noticed his bigger than life smile every time you play with him? It’s there Love, believe me I know!
- Love – You have recently had your first crush experience and oh boy how I’d like that to have waited a while but I was being very honest with you about telling you right now you’re too young! Don’t worry about this one so much right now, it will bid you troubles for years to come! AS for love ….it IS okay…. when you are old enough to drive a car, so don’t roll your eyes at me buddy!
- friendship – this is something you and I need to work on together. Friendship is a very important part of all human life! Friendship fills voids that otherwise would leave us empty inside. Friendship is another way to love someone, it IS okay and we will continue to foster new friendships together, I promise!
- Worry – Your larger than life worries right now are NOT okay! I will not rest until I exhaust everything I have to instill that calmness and allow you to enjoy life as you once did!
I know there are other areas to cover but for now I think we’ve talked enough. One final thought I’d like to add…..and that’s that being different IS okay, it is just not easy! Your dad and I know most of your world is not easy and nothing new you learn comes with ease but that IS okay too! You will never be compared to other standards of the world for each and every child learns at their own pace! We are simply proud for your every accomplishment, no matter how you finish in the race!
Your biggest fan!